Welcome to Burleson Elementary School
- Burleson was originally built in 1922 and was located on five acres in the heart of the city on County Road.
- The school first opened on January 22, 1923.
- The first principal of Burleson Elementary School was Miss Alicia Swann.
- In 1923 Burleson had about 600 students enrolled in school (Kinder- 6th grade).
- The school motto was:
Boost! Upward Reach!
Lead Every School
B U R L E S O N !
1953 a new Burleson Elementary School was built at 4400 Blanco Ave.
Mrs. Nell Whitaker was the principal. Enrollment in 1958 was 1,115 and 1,294 in 1959.
The school was named after General Edward Burleson, who succeeded Stephen F. Austin as commander of the Texas Army.
- He was born in North Carolina in 1798.
- He and his family moved to Virginia, where he was elected Lieutenant of Colonel of the militia.
- In 1831 he settled in Texas near Bastrop on the Colorado River.
- Burleson was made second in command to Stephen F. Austin when the Texas revolution broke out.
- He first commanded the forces that participated in the taking of San Antonio in 1835.
- Then he commanded the first regiment of volunteers at the Battle of San Jacinto.
- After Texas won independence, Burleson was appointed Brigadier General in charge of the limited forces of the Republic of Texas.
- He was very active from 1838 through 1841 in the challenging task of protecting the frontier from Mexican and Indian depredations.
Edward Burleson. (1995-1996). Lone Star Junction [a Texas history resource]. Retrieved
June 18, 2010, from http://www.lsjunction.com/people/burleson.htm
Fulmore, Z. T. (1915). The history and geography of Texas as told in county names.
(pp. p. 113). Austin, Texas: Press of E. L. Steck.